Friday, September 19, 2014

Family Vacation: Ruby Falls

The newest Speedy TV Inspiration Challenge # 80-Ruby Falls had me rummaging through my family photo album in search of photos from our one-and-only family road trip in the 1950... a memorable adventure for 4 people crammed into a non-air conditioned car, through the South, in the heat of Summer, in the days before the Interstate! The pics I found not only inspired me to make a few cards..but brought back a flood of precious memories.
In the 1950's, our family did not have the "paid vacation" time nor money to spend on long travel vacations. Basically, we spent a few days at the beach with family every summer and loved it. I remember our excitement the year my parents announced that we were going on a real vacation to Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee!! I could write a book about this time of excitement, fun, & mishaps strong enough to still feel like yesterday...but instead will concentrate on the story behind the picture I included in this card from Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls!
Pictured in this card with me are my Father, and my brother at Lookout Mountain.  I recall it was the hottest summer on record at that time & I'm the only one dressed for it! My Mom is not in this picture because she was terrified she would fall over the edge. That's also why we were not closer to the edge! If you look closely, my brother is sporting a knife on  his belt. This was Dad's "special gift" to Ron during this trip..he could wear Dad's hand-made knife on the trip since we were going into the "country".. and the unknown. (Can't help but think that today, this would be called out as bad parenting). Ron was so proud to be trusted and was his special rite of passage! Amazing memories of  a more innocent time!
I hope you enjoy my card & the reflections.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, how neat that you included a picture taken at Look Out Mountain on your card. It is so beautiful, I love the gold leaves on the red. I loved hearing about your vacation and family. Thank you for joining us for the Speedy TV Inspiration Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely keepsake thanks for sharing at MFP........Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful and beautiful memories with us at SpeedyTV's Inspiration Challenge. Your page is really lovely and the picture is amazing! Thank you for joining us and sharing your beautiful memories and we hope to see you again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't get near the edge either so I understand how you Mom felt. Love your cards with all family photos - super fun. Another super card! Thanks for joining us in the MFPSpeedyTV INspiration Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for your comments.